1903 1904 1905 - 1906(MCMVI) - 1907 1908 1909
1870s 1880s 1890s - 1900s - 1910s 1920s 1930s
19th century - 20th century - 21st century
1906 was a common year starting on Monday (see link for calendar).
- January 8 - Landslide in Haverstraw, New York kills 20
- January 31 - Earthquake in Ecuador (8.6 in Richter scale)
- February 11 - Pope Pius X publishes the encyclical Vehementer nos.
- February 15 - Representatives of the Labour Representation Committee in the UK parliament take the name Parliamentary Labour Party
- March 10 - Explosion in coalmine in Courrières, France kills 1060
- March 15 - Rolls-Royce Ltd. is registered
- March 18 - Traian Vuia flies first self-propelled heavier than air aircraft
- April 7 - Mount Vesuvius erupts and devastates Naples.
- April 18 - 1906 San Francisco earthquake on the San Andreas Fault destroys much of San Francisco, California, killing at least 3000. The estimated magnitude of the earthquake is 7.8.
- June 9-June 10 - Riots in Stockholm, Ladugårsdgärden - 50 policemen injured
- June 25 - New York playboy Harry K. Thaw shoots architect Stanford White
- June 28-July 6 - Crown Jewels of Ireland stolen during this period
- September 5 - Brandbury Robinson throws the first legal forward pass in an American football game.
- September 18 - Typhoon with tsunami kills an estimated 10.000 persons in Hong Kong
- September 22 - Race riots in Atlanta, Georgia (12 killed)
- October 11 - San Francisco public school board sparks United States diplomatic crisis with Japan by ordering Japanese students to be taught in racially segregated schools.
- October 16 - The Captain of Köpenick fools a city hall in Köpenick by impersonating a Prussian officer
- October 23 - Aeroplane of Alberto Santos-Dumont takes off on Bagatelle in France and flies 60 meters (200 feet)
- October 28 - Creation of the Union Minière du Haut Katanga, a Belgian mining trust in Congo.
- November 3 - SOS becomes an international distress signal
- November 9 - US President Theodore Roosevelt leaves for a trip to Panama to inspect the construction progress of the Panama Canal (this was the first time a sitting President of the United States made an official trip outside of the United States).
- December 4 - Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., the first intercollegiate Greek-letter fraternity established for African Americans, was founded at Cornell University
- December 6 - Politic creation of district of Chimbote.
- December 24 - Reginald Fessenden makes the first radio broadcast: a poetry reading, a violin solo, and a speech.
- 26 December - The world's first feature film, "The Story of the Kelly Gang", is released.
- Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) immunization for tuberculosis first developed
- Richard Oldham argues that the Earth has a molten interior
- Second Geneva Convention
- Construction begins on the current Great Mosque of Djenné.
- The muffuletta sandwich is invented in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- January 22 - Robert E. Howard, American author (d. 1936)
- February 4 - Clyde Tombaugh, American astronomer (d. 1997)
- February 10 - Erik Rhodes, American actor (d. 1990)
- March 1 - Pham Van Dong, Prime Minister of Vietnam (d. 2000)
- March 16 - Henny Youngman, English born comedian (d. 1998)
- March 19 - Adolf Eichmann, Nazi official (d. 1962)
- March 31 - Sin-Itiro Tomonaga, Japanese physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1979)
- April 9 - Antal Dorati, Hungarian conductor (d. 1988)
- April 13 - Samuel Beckett, Irish writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1989)
- April 25 - William J. Brennan, U.S. Supreme Court Justice (d. 1997)
- April 28 - Paul Sacher, Swiss conductor (d. 1999)
- May 6 - André Weil, French mathematician (d. 1998)
- May 28 - Phil Regan, American actor (d. 1996)
- May 29 - T. H. White, British writer (d. 1964)
- June 7 - Glen Gray, American saxophonist (d. 1963)
- June 15 - Léon Degrelle, Belgian fascist (d. 1994)
- June 19 - Ernst Boris Chain, German-born scientist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1979)
- June 20 - Catherine Cookson, English author (d. 1998)
- June 20 - Robert Trent Jones, English-born golf course designer (d. 2000)
- June 22 - Anne Morrow Lindbergh American author and aviator (d. 2001)
- June 24 - Pierre Fournier, French cellist (d. 1986)
- June 28 - Maria Goeppert-Mayer, German physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1972)
- July 1 - Estée Lauder, American cosmetics entrepreneur (d. 2004)
- July 2 - Hans Bethe, German-born physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 2005)
- July 23 - Vladimir Prelog, Croatian chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1998)
- August 5 - Wassily Leontief, Russian economist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1999)
- August 12 - Tedd Pierce, American animator (d. 1972)
- August 28 - John Betjeman, English poet (d. 1984)
- September 1 - Franz Biebl, German composer (d. 2001)
- September 6 - Luis Federico Leloir, French-born chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1987)
- September 25 - Dmitri Shostakovich, Russian composer (d. 1975)
- October 10 - Rasipuram Krishnaswamy Narayan Indian novelist (d. 2001)
- October 14 - Imam Hassan al Banna, Egyptian founder of the Muslim Brotherhood (d. 1949)
- October 23 - Gertrude Ederle, American swimmer (d. 2003)
- October 27 - Earle Cabell, American politician (d. 1975)
- November 5 - Fred Lawrence Whipple, American astronomer (d. 2004)
- November 18 - Klaus Mann, German writer (d. 1949)
- December 5 - Otto Preminger, Austrian-born film director (d. 1986)
- December 25 - Ernst Ruska, German physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1988)
- January 29 - King Christian IX of Denmark (b. 1818)
- February 9 - Paul Laurence Dunbar, American poet and publisher (b. 1872)
- February 27 - Samuel Pierpont Langley, American astronomer, physicist, and aeronautics pioneer (b. 1834)
- March 13 - Susan B. Anthony, American civil rights and women's suffrage activist (b. 1820)
- March 29 - Slava Raskaj, Croatian painter (b. 1877)
- April 6 - Alexander Kielland, Norwegian author (b. 1849)
- April 11 - Francis Pharcellus Church, American editor and publisher (b. 1839)
- April 19 - Pierre Curie, French physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1859)
- May 14 - Carl Schurz, German revolutionary and American statesman (b. 1829)
- May 23 - Henrik Ibsen, Norwegian playwright (b. 1828)
- September 5 - Ludwig Boltzmann, Austrian physicist (b. 1844)
- October 22 - Paul Cézanne, French painter (b. 1839)
- December 7 - Élie Ducommun, Swiss journalist and activist, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (b. 1833)
- Physics - Sir Joseph John Thomson
- Chemistry - Henri Moissan
- Medicine - Camillo Golgi, Santiago Ramón y Cajal
- Literature - Giosuè Carducci
- Peace - Theodore Roosevelt
af:1906 ar:1906 ast:1906 bg:1906 be:1906 bs:1906 ca:1906 cv:1906 cs:1906 cy:1906 da:1906 de:1906 et:1906 el:1906 es:1906 eo:1906 eu:1906 fo:1906 fr:1906 fy:1906 ga:1906 gl:1906 ko:1906년 hr:1906 io:1906 id:1906 ia:1906 is:1906 it:1906 he:1906 ka:1906 csb:1906 kw:1906 la:1906 lt:1906 lb:1906 hu:1906 mk:1906 nl:1906 ja:1906年 no:1906 nn:1906 os:1906 pl:1906 pt:1906 ro:1906 ru:1906 se:1906 sq:1906 scn:1906 simple:1906 sk:1906 sl:1906 sr:1906 fi:1906 sv:1906 tl:1906 tt:1906 th:พ.ศ. 2449 tr:1906 uk:1906 wa:1906 zh:1906年