Sara Gilbert (born Sara Rebecca Abeles on January 29, 1975 in Santa Monica, California) is an American actress. She decided at a young age that she wanted to be an actress after seeing her half-sister, Melissa Gilbert, in Little House on the Prairie. The roles she has played tend to reflect her laid back and unthreatening personality.
Following appearances in TV movies and a commercial for Kool Aid, at the age of thirteen she landed the role of Darlene Conner in the U.S. sitcom Roseanne. Sara was a constant cast member during the shows run from 1988 to 1997, for which she wrote an episode called Don't Make Me Over. In fact, Sara's contribution to Roseanne was so important that the show's producers arranged the filming schedule to allow her to study at Yale University. She graduated with an arts degree in 1997.
She has appeared in two films alongside Drew Barrymore, in Poison Ivy in 1992 and Riding In Cars With Boys in 2001. She starred in several other minor roles following the final episode of Roseanne, including short film $30 (aka 30 Bucks) as part of the Boys Life 3 feature. She directed her own short film Persona Non Grata in 1998.
In 1993 she was nominated for the Emmy award for Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series for her role in Roseanne as well as the Independent Spirit Award award for Best Supporting Female for her role in Poison Ivy. She was nominated again in 1994 for Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series for Roseanne.
- Calamity Jane, 1984
- Roseanne (TV series), as Darlene Conner, 1988 - 1997
- Runaway Ralph, 1988
- Sudie And Simpson, 1990
- Poison Ivy, 1992
- 50 Simple Things Kids Can Do To Save The Earth, 1992
- Dead Beat, 1994
- Broken Record, 1997
- Desert Blue, 1998
- Persona Non Grata, 1998, Sara starred as a narrator as well as directing this short film
- Light It Up, 1999
- The Big Tease, 1999
- $30, 1999
- Jack & The Beanstalk, 2000, a children's animated movie for which Sara did a voice over
- Welcome To New York (TV series), as Amy Manning, 2000
- Riding In Cars With Boys, 2001
- Twins (TV series), as Mitchee, 2005
Guest Appearances & Cameos
- The Simpsons (TV series), as Laura Powers in New Kid On The Block, 1993
- Saturday Night Live, Hosted one episode in 1994
- High Fidelity, 2000
- Biography, 2001, Appeared as herself in the episode about her half sister Melissa Gilbert
- 24, 2002, Appeared in episodes Day 2 - 8:00 am to 9:00 am, Day 2 - 9:00 am to 10:00 am, Day 2 - 10:00 am to 11:00 am and Day 2 - 11:00 am to 12:00 noon
- Ellen DeGeneres Show, 2003
- Will & Grace, 2003, Episode Fanilow
- ER, 2004, as Jane Figler in several episodes
- Strong Medicine as a recovered drug addict fighting to get her daughter back