- 1098 - Fighters of the First Crusade defeat Kerbogha of Mosul.
- 1243 - Innocent IV becomes pope.
- 1389 - Ottoman forces crush the armies of Christian Europe in Kosovo, opening the way for the Ottoman conquest of Southeastern Europe (see Vidovdan).
- 1519 - Charles V elected emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1635 - Guadeloupe becomes a French colony.
- 1651 - Battle of Beresteczko between Poles and Ukrainians, the biggest battle in the 17th century, starts.
- 1763 - Earthquake in Komarom, Hungary
- 1859 - First dog show is held in Newcastle-on-Tyne, England.
- 1880 - Ned Kelly the Australian bushranger captured at Glenrowan.
- 1887 - Minot, North Dakota incorporated as a city.
- 1894 - Labor Day becomes an official US holiday.
- 1895 - El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua form the Central American Union.
- 1914 - Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria and his wife Sophia are killed in Sarajevo by a Serbian nationalist young man: Gavrilo Princip , the casus belli of World War I.
- 1919 - The Treaty of Versailles is signed, ending World War I with Germany.
- 1936 - The Japanese puppet state of Mengjiang is formed in northern China.
- 1938 - A 450 metric ton meteorite struck the earth in a empty field near Chicora, Pennsylvania
- 1940 - Romania cedes Bessarabia (current-day Moldova) to the Soviet Union.
- 1950 - Seoul is captured by troops from North Korea.
- 1956 - Anti-communist demonstrations in Poznan. Also called Poznański czerwiec (June of Poznan).
- 1960 - US-owned oil refineries in Cuba confiscated and nationalised.
- 1964 - Malcom X forms the Organization of Afro-American Unity.
- 1967 - Israel annexes East Jerusalem.
- 1969 - Stonewall riots in New York city mark the beginning of the modern gay rights era.
- 1978 - The United States Supreme Court, in Regents of the University of California v. Bakke bars quota systems in college admissions.
- 1988 - The worst confined-space industrial accident in U.S. history occurs at a metal-plating plant in Auburn, Indiana, killing five.
- 1990 - Paperback Software found guilty by a U.S. court of copyright violation for copying the appearance and menu system of Lotus 1-2-3 in its competing spreadsheet program.
- 1997 - Boxer Mike Tyson is disqualified from WBA title re-match, for biting off part of the ear of his opponent Evander Holyfield.
- 2004 - Estonia, Lithuania and Slovenia join the European Exchange Rate Mechanism
- 2005 - Canada's lower house paves the way for same-sex marriage to be legalized there, and make it the third country to do so.
1243 to 1899
- 1243 - Emperor Go-Fukakusa of Japan (d. 1304)
- 1476 - Pope Paul IV (d. 1559)
- 1490 - Albert of Mainz, bishop and elector of Mainz (d. 1545)
- 1491 - King Henry VIII of England (d. 1547)
- 1503 - Giovanni della Casa, Italian poet (d. 1556)
- 1547 (baptism) - Cristofano Malvezzi, Italian composer (d. 1599)
- 1577 - Peter Paul Rubens, Belgian painter (d. 1640)
- 1703 - John Wesley, English founder of Methodism (d. 1791)
- 1712 - Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Swiss philosopher (d. 1778)
- 1719 - Étienne François, duc de Choiseul, French statesman (d. 1785)
- 1806 - Napoleon Coste, French guitarist and composer (d. 1883)
- 1824 - Paul Pierre Broca, French physician 9d. 1880)
- 1831 - Joseph Joachim, Austrian violinist (d. 1907)
- 1867 - Luigi Pirandello, Italian writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1936)
- 1891 - Carl Panzram, American serial killer (d. 1930)
1900 to 1999
- 1902 - Richard Rodgers, American composer (d. 1979)
- 1906 - Maria Goeppert-Mayer, German physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1972)
- 1913 - Franz Antel, Austrian filmmaker
- 1914 - Lester Flatt, American musician (d. 1979)
- 1921 - P. V. Narasimha Rao, Prime Minister of India (d. 2004)
- 1926 - Mel Brooks, American filmmaker
- 1927 - Frank Sherwood Rowland, American chemist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1930 - Itamar Franco, President of Brazil
- 1932 - Pat Morita, American actor
- 1936 - Chuck Howley, American football player
- 1938 - Moy Yat, Chinese martial artist (d. 2001)
- 1943 - Klaus von Klitzing, German physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1946 - Gilda Radner, American actress (d. 1989)
- 1947 - Mark Helprin, American writer
- 1948 - Kathy Bates, American actress
- 1952 - Pietro Mennea, Italian athlete
- 1954 - Alice Krige, South African actress
- 1960 - John Elway, American football player
- 1964 - Mark Grace, baseball player
- 1966 - John Cusack, American actor
- 1967 - Kenneth Steven Becker, American taxpayer
- 1968 - Adam Woodyatt, British actor
- 1969 - Danielle Brisebois, American actress
- 1970 - Mushtaq Ahmed, Pakistani cricketer
- 1971 - Kenny Cunningham, Irish footballer
- 1972 - Jon Heidenreich, American professional wrestler
- 1973 - Adrian Annus, Hungarian athlete
- 1976 - Shinobu Asagoe, Japanese tennis player
- 1979 - Randy McMichael, American football player
- 1989 - Elias Borton, American Pro Thumbwrestler
767 to 1899
- 767 - Pope Paul I
- 1175 - Andrei Bogolyubsky, Russian prince
- 1194 - Emperor Xiaozong of China (b. 1127)
- 1586 - Primož Trubar, Slovenian protestant reformer (b. 1508)
- 1598 - Abraham Ortelius, Flemish-born cartographer (b. 1527)
- 1716 - George FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Northumberland, English general (b. 1665)
- 1813 - Gerhard von Scharnhorst, Prussian general (b. 1755)
- 1834 - Joseph Bové, Russian architect (b. 1784)
- 1836 - James Madison, President of the United States (b. 1751)
- 1881 - Jules Armand Dufaure, French statesman (b. 1798)
- 1889 - Maria Mitchell, American astronomer (b. 1818)
1900 to 1999
- 1913 - Manoel Ferraz de Campos Salles, President of Brazil (b. 1841)
- 1914 - Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria (assassinated) (b. 1863)
- 1914 - Countess Sophie Chotek, wife of Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria (assassinated) (b. 1868)
- 1922 - Velimir Khlebnikov, Russian poet (b. 1885)
- 1929 - Edward Carpenter, English poet (b. 1844)
- 1960 - Jake Swirbul, American aircraft manufacturer (b. 1898)
- 1962 - Mickey Cochrane, baseball player (b. 1903)
- 1965 - Red Nichols, American musician (b. 1905)
- 1974 - Frank Sutton, American actor (b. 1923)
- 1975 - Rod Serling, American television scriptwriter (b. 1924)
- 1980 - José Iturbi, Spanish pianist and conductor (b. 1895)
- 1981 - Terry Fox, Canadian athlete and cancer activist (b. 1958)
- 1989 - Joris Ivens, Dutch filmmaker (b. 1898)
- 1992 - Mikhail Tal, Latvian chess player (b. 1936)
- 1997 - Mrs. Miller, American singer (b. 1907)
- 2001 - Mortimer Adler, American philosopher (b. 1902)
- 2003 - Wim Slijkhuis, Dutch athlete (b. 1923)
- 2004 - Anthony Buckeridge, English author (b. 1912)
Holidays and observances
- Feast of St Irenaeus of Lyons
- Vidovdan, Orthodox religious holiday.
- One of the TWO dates made up of only perfect numbers (6 and 28; also June 6th [6 and 6]).
af:28 Junie ar:28 يونيو an:28 de chunio ast:28 de xunu bg:28 юни be:28 чэрвеня bs:28. juni ca:28 de juny ceb:Hunyo 28 co:28 di ghjugnu cs:28. červen cy:28 Mehefin da:28. juni de:28. Juni et:28. juuni el:28 Ιουνίου es:28 de junio eo:28-a de junio eu:Ekainaren 28 fo:28. juni fr:28 juin fy:28 juny ga:28 Meitheamh gl:28 de xuño ko:6월 28일 hr:28. lipnja io:28 di junio id:28 Juni ia:28 de junio is:28. júní it:28 giugno he:28 ביוני jv:28 Juni ka:28 ივნისი csb:28 czerwińca ku:28'ê pûşperê la:28 Iunii lt:Birželio 28 lb:28. Juni hu:Június 28 mk:28 јуни nap:28 'e giùgno nl:28 juni ja:6月28日 no:28. juni nn:28. juni oc:28 de junh pl:28 czerwca pt:28 de Junho ro:28 iunie ru:28 июня sco:28 Juin sq:28 Qershor scn:28 di giugnu simple:June 28 sk:28. jún sl:28. junij sr:28. јун fi:28. kesäkuuta sv:28 juni tl:Hunyo 28 tt:28. Yün te:జూన్ 28 th:28 มิถุนายน tr:28 Haziran uk:28 червня wa:28 di djun war:Hunyo 28 zh:6月28日