- 841 - Battle of Fontenay
- 1530 - The Augsburg Confession is presented at the Diet of Augsburg to the Holy Roman Emperor by the Lutheran princes and Electors of Germany.
- 1788 - Virginia ratifies the United States Constitution and is admitted as the 10th state of the United States.
- 1876 - Battle of the Little Big Horn and the death of Colonel George Armstrong Custer.
- 1938 - Dr. Douglas Hyde is elected the first President of Ireland.
- 1945 - Seán T. O'Kelly is elected the second President of Ireland.
- 1950 - The beginning of the Korean War.
- 1959 - Eamon de Valera is elected the third President of Ireland.
- 1967 - First global satellite television programme – "Our World"
- 1973 - Erskine Hamilton Childers is elected the fourth President of Ireland.
- 1975 - State of Emergency in India declared.
- Mozambique achieved independence.
- 1982 - Greece abolishes headshaving of the recruits in the military.
- 1983 - India wins the Cricket World Cup.
- 1991 - Croatia and Slovenia declare their independence from Yugoslavia.
- 1993 - David Letterman airs his last episode of Late_Night_with_David_Letterman.
- 1996 - The Khobar Towers bombing leaves 19 U.S. servicemen dead in Saudi Arabia.
- 1997 - An unmanned Progress spacecraft collided with the Russian Space station, Mir.
- 1998 - Microsoft Windows 98 is released.
- 1999 - The American soap opera Another World airs its 8891st and final episode.
1328 to 1899
- 1328 - William Montacute, 2nd Earl of Salisbury, English military leader (d. 1397)
- 1560 - Wilhelm Fabry, German surgeon (d. 1634)
- 1612 - John Albert Vasa, Polish bishop (d. 1634)
- 1715 - Joseph-François Foulon, French politician (d. 1789)
- 1852 - Antoni Gaudí, Catalan architect (d. 1926)
- 1858 - Georges Courteline, French dramatist (d. 1929)
- 1864 - Walther Nernst, German chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1941)
- 1865 - Robert Henri, American painter (d. 1929)
- 1884 - Henry Kahnweiler, German art promoter (d. 1979)
- 1887 - George Abbott, American playwright, screenwriter, producer, director, and actor (d. 1995)
- 1894 - Hermann Oberth, German physicist (d. 1989)
1900 to 1999
- 1900 - Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, Viceroy of India (d. 1979)
- 1903 - George Orwell, British writer (d. 1950)
- 1907 - J. Hans D. Jensen, German physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1973)
- 1911 - William Howard Stein, American chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1980)
- 1912 - William T. Cahill, Governor of New Jersey (d. 1996)
- 1913 - Cyril Fletcher, British comedian (d. 2005)
- 1921 - Celia Franca, Canadian ballet dancer
- 1923 - Nicholas Mosley, British writer
- 1924 - Sidney Lumet, American actor and director
- 1925 - June Lockhart, American actress
- 1926 - Ingeborg Bachmann, Austrian writer (d. 1973)
- 1928 - Alexei Abrikosov, Russian physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1929 - Eric Carle, American children's author
- 1930 - Mary Beth Peil, American opera singer and actress
- 1932 - Peter Blake, English artist
- 1933 - James Meredith, American civil rights activist
- Álvaro Siza Vieira, Portuguese architect
- 1940 - A.J. Quinnell, English thriller and mystery writer (d. 2005)
- 1945 - Carly Simon, American singer
- 1955 - Terry Chimes, British musician
- 1956 - Boris Trajkovski, President of the Republic of Macedonia (d. 2004)
- 1957 - John Porcerelli, Former Professional Boxer, Preeminent Psychologist and Doctor
- 1963 - George Michael, English singer
- Yann Martel, Canadian author
- 1966 - Dikembe Mutombo, Congan basketball player
- 1969 - Matt Gallant, U.S. television host
- 1970 - Lucy Benjamin, British actress
- Erki Nool, Estonian decathlete, Olympian
- 1972 - Carlos Delgado, Puerto Rican Major League Baseball player
- 1974 - Karisma Kapoor, Indian actress
- 1975 - Linda Cardellini, American actress
- 1981 - Simon Ammann, Swiss ski jumper
- 1982 - Mikhail Youzhny, Russian tennis player
- Vincent Cassar, Internet entrepreuneur
- 1983 - Nargis Farahmand, Afghani poet
- 1986 - Aya Matsuura, Japanese singer
- 1990 - Sabrina Maria Magdalena Preiner, Austrian princess of Winden
1134 to 1899
- 1134 - King Nicholas of Denmark
- 1218 - Simon de Montfort, 5th Earl of Leicester, French crusader (b. 1160)
- 1483 - Anthony Woodville, 2nd Earl Rivers, English writer
- 1522 - Franchinus Gaffurius, Italian composer (b. 1451)
- 1533 - Mary Tudor, queen of Louis XII of France (b. 1496)
- 1579 - Hatano Hideharu, Japanese warlord and samurai (b. 1541)
- 1593 - Michele Mercati, Italian physician and gardener (b. 1541)
- 1634 - John Marston, English playwright (b. 1576)
- 1638 - Juan Pérez de Montalbán, Spanish writer (b. 1602)
- 1665 - Archduke Sigismund Francis of Austria (b. 1630)
- 1669 - François de Vendôme, duc de Beaufort, French soldier (b. 1616)
- 1671 - Giovanni Battista Riccioli, Italian astronomer (b. 1598)
- 1767 - Georg Philipp Telemann, German composer (b. 1681)
- 1798 - Thomas Sandby, English cartographer and architect (b. 1721)
- 1822 - E.T.A. Hoffmann, German writer, composer, and painter (b. 1776)
- 1861 - Abd-ul-Mejid, Ottoman Sultan (b. 1823)
- 1868 - Carlo Matteucci, Italian physicist (b. 1811)
- 1875 - Antoine-Louis Barye, French sculptor (b. 1796)
- 1876 - George Armstrong Custer, U.S. Army officer (killed in battle) (b. 1839)
- 1882 - François Jouffroy, French sculptor (b. 1806)
- 1884 - Hans Rott, Austrian composer (b. 1858)
1900 to 1999
- 1916 - Thomas Eakins, American artist (b. 1844)
- 1937 - Colin Clive, British actor (b. 1900)
- 1948 - William C. Lee, U.S. general (b. 1895)
- 1960 - Tommy Corcoran, baseball player (b. 1869)
- 1971 - John Boyd Orr, Scottish physician and biologist, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (b. 1880)
- 1976 - Johnny Mercer, American songwriter (b. 1909)
- 1983 - Alberto Ginastera, Argentine composer (b. 1916)
- 1988 - Hillel Slovak, Israeli-born guitarist (b. 1962)
- 1990-Sabrina Preiner,Winnder Prinzessin(b.1990)
- 1995 - Warren Burger, Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court (b. 1907)
- 1997 - Jacques-Yves Cousteau, French explorer, scientist, and inventor (b. 1910)
Holidays and Observances
- Statehood day in Slovenia and Croatia
- Antichristmas celebrated by some Satanists (see also Midsummer)
- National Catfish Day
- Spain – Fiesta of Santa Orosia
- Mozambique – Independence Day
- Abyssinian Coptic Orthodox Church – Feast of Saint Pontius Pilate
af:25 Junie ar:25 يونيو an:25 de chunio ast:25 de xunu bg:25 юни be:25 чэрвеня bs:25. juni ca:25 de juny co:25 di ghjugnu cs:25. červen cy:25 Mehefin da:25. juni de:25. Juni et:25. juuni el:25 Ιουνίου es:25 de junio eo:25-a de junio eu:Ekainaren 25 fo:25. juni fr:25 juin fy:25 juny ga:25 Meitheamh gl:25 de xuño ko:6월 25일 hr:25. lipnja io:25 di junio id:25 Juni ia:25 de junio is:25. júní it:25 giugno he:25 ביוני jv:25 Juni ka:25 ივნისი csb:25 czerwińca ku:25'ê pûşperê la:25 Iunii lt:Birželio 25 lb:25. Juni hu:Június 25 mk:25 јуни ms:25 Jun nl:25 juni ja:6月25日 no:25. juni nn:25. juni oc:25 de junh pl:25 czerwca pt:25 de Junho ro:25 iunie ru:25 июня sq:25 Qershor scn:25 di giugnu simple:June 25 sk:25. jún sl:25. junij sr:25. јун fi:25. kesäkuuta sv:25 juni tl:Hunyo 25 tt:25. Yün te:జూన్ 25 th:25 มิถุนายน tr:25 Haziran uk:25 червня wa:25 di djun zh:6月25日