A two-time Oscar nominee, his start in acting wasn't easy. After minor roles in British television, Law had his breakthrough with Shopping which also featured his future wife Sadie Frost. For a time Frost and Law were central to the so called "Primrose Hill set" of young British actors that also included Ewan McGregor.
In 2003, he and wife, actress Sadie Frost, by whom he has three children, Rafferty (b. 1996), Iris (b. 2000) and Rudy (b. 2002), divorced. He became engaged to Sienna Miller, his co-star in the remake of Alfie.
On November 17, 2004, Jude Law was named People magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive". The 2004 remake of Alfie was a box-office flop, only making back about half of its estimated $60 million budget, and voted one of the worst remakes of all time by a British film magazine. Some film critics contended that though Law had been effective in supporting roles, his acting range was too limited to carry a film on his own. Other films of his in 2004, such as Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and I Heart Huckabees also flopped. Aside from those discretions, Law is a fine character actor and has turned in first-rate performances such as Gattaca as a frustrated Olympic medalist bound by a wheelchair, an ill-fated lover of Kevin Spacey's in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Road to Perdition as a sadistic hitman, and The Talented Mr. Ripley, Law's breakout role for which he was Oscar nominated for Best Supporting Actor.
On July 18, 2005 Jude Law issued a public apology to his fiancée for having an affair with his children's nanny, Daisy Wright, in New Orleans. Law was quoted as saying "I want to publicly apologise to Sienna and our respective families for the pain that I have caused. There is no defence for my actions which I sincerely regret and I ask that you respect our privacy at this very difficult time".
In 2005, Law and his ex-wife Sadie Frost reached a divorce settlement after nearly two years of negotiations. Frost will keep the couple's $4 million London house in Primrose Hill, and receive payments from Law totalling $2 million.
- The Crane (1994) (short subject)
- Shopping (1994)
- I Love You, I Love You Not (1996)
- Bent (1997)
- Wilde (1997)
- Gattaca (1997)
- Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997)
- Music From Another Room (1998)
- Final Cut (1998)
- The Wisdom of Crocodiles (1998)
- eXistenZ (1999)
- Tube Tales (1999) (director)
- Presence of Mind (1999)
- The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)
- Love, Honor and Obey (2000)
- Enemy at the Gates (2001)
- AI: Artificial Intelligence (2001)
- Road to Perdition (2002)
- Cold Mountain (2003)
- I Heart Huckabees (2004)
- Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)
- Alfie (2004)
- Closer (2004)
- The Aviator (2004)
- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004) (voice only)
- All the King's Men (2005) (currently in post-production)
- Breaking and Entering (2006) (currently filming)
- Dexterity (2006) (currently in pre-production)
- The Tailor of Gloucester (1989)
- The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes: Shoscombe Old Place (1991)
- Families (1990-1993)
- The Marshal (1993)