Surtees switched from motorcycles to cars, full time in 1960 making his Formula 1 debut racing for Lotus in the Monaco Grand Prix in Monte Carlo. He moved to Ferrari and won the world championship for the Italian team in 1964.
Surtees parted company with Ferrari during the 1966 season, citing excessive pressure as a factor, leaving Jack Brabham to take the Drivers' Championship.
Surtees' Formula One statistics
- Number of Grand Prix starts: 112
- Number of Finishes: 52
- Number of Finishes on podium: 24
- Number of Finishes in points: 40
- Number of Retirements: 60
- Number of Wins: 6 (Germany 1963 and 1964, Italy 1964 and 1967, Belgium 1966 and Mexico 1966)
- Number of Pole positions: 8
- Number of Fastest laps: 11
- Number of Doubles (Pole position & Win): 4
- Number of Triples (Pole position, Win & Fastest lap): 3
- Seasons: 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971 and 1972
- Points: 180
- Teams: Bowmaker-Yeoman Racing Team, Cooper Car Company, Honda Racing, North American Racing Team, Owen Racing Organisation, Rob Walker Team Surtees, Scuderia Ferrari, Team Lotus, Team Surtees and Yeoman Credit Racing Team.