The first HMAS Huon (D-50) was a River class destroyer laid down as HMAS Derwent by the Cockatoo Docks and Engineering Company Propriety Limited at Sydney in New South Wales on 25 January 1913, launched on 19 December 1914 by Mrs Jensen, wife of the Honourable J.A. Jensen, Minister without Portfolio, renamed in October 1915, commissioned on 14 December 1915 and completed on 2 February 1916. Huon served with the British Far East Patrol at Sandakan in Borneo and Singapore, operated in the Mediterranean as part of the British 5th Destroyer Flotilla, collided with HMAS Yarra on 8 August 1918 and underwent repairs at Genoa, returned to Australia on 21 May 1919, escorted HMS Renown for the visit of the Prince of Wales to South Australia in 1920, paid off into Reserve at Sydney on 9 August 1920 but recommissioned on 22 April 1921 and served in Australian waters, paid off into Reserve at Sydney on 2 June 1922, and was based at Hobart for Naval Reserve training from 22 September 1924 to 26 May 1928. HMAS Huon paid off into Reserve on 7 June 1928 and was sunk by gunfire as a target off Sydney on 10 April 1931.
The second HMAS Huon (M-82), the lead ship of the Huon class minehunters, was built by Australian Defence Industries at Newcastle, New South Wales, launched on 25 July 1997 and commissioned on 15 May 1999