George Peppard (October 1, 1928 - May 8, 1994) was an American film and television actor. His most notable role early in his career occurred when he starred alongside Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961), although he is probably more familiar among younger viewers for his role as Col. John "Hannibal" Smith in the cult 1980s television show The A-Team, where he is the cigar-smoking leader of a renegade commando squadron.
Peppard was born in Detroit, Michigan, as the son of an opera singer and a building contractor. He graduated from Dearborn High School in Dearborn, Michigan. He attended Purdue University (where he was studying Civil Engineering) and Carnegie Mellon University.
Peppard also served in the United States Marine Corps.
Before the A-Team, Peppard had the leading role in the TV series Banacek (1972 - 1974), (part of the NBC Mystery Movie series of the 1970s), and played in Doctor's Hospital, in 1975, and in several other television films, which became in the later part of his career his major dedication.
He was a recovering alcoholic, who spent his later years trying to help others in the same situation.
After being diagnosed with lung cancer in 1992, he had part of a lung removed. He died of pneumonia on May 8, 1994, at the age of 65 in Los Angeles, due to complications in the treatment of the cancer.
- The Tigress (1992)
- Ultra Warrior (1990)
- The A-Team (1983-1987)
- Hit Man (1982)
- Race for the Yankee Zephyr (1981)
- Your Ticket Is No Longer Valid (1981)
- Battle Beyond the Stars (1980)
- From Hell to Victory (1979)
- Five Days from Home (1979)
- Damnation Alley (1977)
- Newman's Law (1974)
- The Groundstar Conspiracy (1972)
- One More Train to Rob (1971)
- Cannon for Cordoba (1970)
- The Executioner (1970)
- Pendulum (1969)
- House of Cards (1968)
- What's So Bad About Feeling Good? (1968)
- P.J. (1968)
- Rough Night in Jericho (1967)
- Tobruk (1967)
- The Blue Max (1966)
- The Third Day (1965)
- Operation Crossbow (1965)
- The Carpetbaggers (1964)
- The Victors (1963)
- How the West Was Won (1962)
- Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
- The Subterraneans (1960)
- Home from the Hill (1960)
- Pork Chop Hill (1959)
- The Strange One (1957)