February 19 is the 50th day of the year in the Gregorian Calendar. There are 315 days remaining, 316 in leap years.
- 197 – Roman Emperor Septimius Severus defeats usurper Clodius Albinus in the Battle of Lugdunum, the bloodiest battle between Roman armies.
- 607 - Boniface III becomes Pope.
- 1594 - Having already inherited the throne of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth through his mother Catherine Jagellonica of Poland, Sigismund III of the House of Vasa is crowned King of Sweden, succeeding his father John III of Sweden.
- 1674 - England and the Netherlands sign the Peace of Westminster, ending the Third Anglo-Dutch War. A provision of the agreement transfers the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam to England, which renamed it New York.
- 1807 - In Alabama, Former Vice President of the United States Aaron Burr is arrested for treason.
- 1819 - British explorer William Smith discovers the South Shetland Islands, and claims them in the name of King George III.
- 1846 - In Austin, Texas the newly-formed Texas state government is officially installed.
- 1847 - The Donner Party is rescued. It is noted that some of the survivors seem to be remarkably well-fed considering their ordeal.
- 1852 - The Phi Kappa Psi fraternity is founded at Jefferson College in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania.
- 1861 - Serfdom is abolished in Russia.
- 1878 - The phonograph is patented by Thomas Edison.
- 1881 - Kansas became the first U.S. state to prohibit all alcoholic beverages.
- 1913 - Prizes are included in Cracker Jack candy boxes for the first time.
- 1915 - World War I: The Battle of Gallipoli began.
- 1937 - During a public ceremony at the Viceregal Palace (the former Imperial residence) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, two Eritrean nationalists attempt to kill viceroy Rodolfo Graziani with a number of grenades. The Italian security guard fire into the crowd of Ethiopian onlookers, and over the passing weeks indiscriminately slaughter native Ethiopians in reprisal.
- 1941 - World War II: The Afrika Korps, the corps-level headquarters controlling the German Panzer divisions in North Africa, was formed.
- 1942 - World War II: About 150 Japanese warplanes attack Darwin, Australia.
- 1942 - World War II: President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the executive order 9066, allowing the United States military to relocate Japanese-Americans to Japanese internment camps.
- 1943 - World War II: Battle of the Kasserine Pass in Tunisia begins.
- 1945 - World War II: Battle of Iwo Jima - about 30,000 United States Marines land on Iwo Jima.
- 1949 - Ezra Pound is awarded the first Bollingen Prize in poetry by the Bollingen Foundation and Yale University.
- 1953 - Censorship: Georgia approves the first literature censorship board in the United States.
- 1959 - The United Kingdom grants Cyprus its independence, which is then on formally proclaimed on August 16, 1960.
- 1964 - Paul Simon writes "The Sounds of Silence," the song which, in a year and a half, will catapult him and Art Garfunkel to stardom as Simon & Garfunkel.
- 1985 - Artificial heart patient William J. Schroeder becomes the first such patient to leave hospital.
- 1985 - A Spanish Boeing 747 crashes into Mount Oiz in Spain, killing 148.
- 1985 - EastEnders first airs on televisions across the United Kingdom, on the first night of a major ident change for BBC1.
- 1986 - The Soviet Union launches the Mir space station.
- 1986 - After waiting 37 years, the United States Senate approves a treaty outlawing genocide.
- 1999 - Dennis Franz receives a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- 2001 - A Oklahoma City bombing museum is dedicated at the Oklahoma City National Memorial.
- 2002 - NASA's Mars Odyssey space probe begins to map the surface of Mars using its thermal emission imaging system.
- 2004 - Nazi-hunter Simon Wiesenthal is awarded an honorary knighthood in recognition of a "lifetime of service to humanity."
- 2005 - Paris Hilton's Sidekick II is hacked online via her online T-Mobile account.
- 1473 - Nicolaus Copernicus, Polish astronomer (d. 1543)
- 1526 - Charles de L'Ecluse, Flemish botanist (d. 1609)
- 1552 - Melchior Klesl, Austrian cardinal and statesman (d. 1630)
- 1630 - Shivaji, founder of the Maratha Empire (d. 1680)
- 1660 - Friedrich Hoffmann, German physician and chemist (d. 1742)
- 1717 - David Garrick, English actor (d. 1779)
- 1722 - Tiphaigne de la Roche, French writer (d. 1774)
- 1743 - Luigi Boccherini, Italian composer (d. 1805)
- 1802 - Wilhelm Matthias Näff, Swiss Federal Councillor (d. 1881)
- 1804 - David Wark, Canadian politician and Senator (d. 1905)
- 1804 - Carl Freiherr von Rokitansky, German physician (d. 1878)
- 1821 - August Schleicher, German linguist (d. 1868)
- 1833 - Élie Ducommun, Swiss journalist and activist, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1906)
- 1859 - Svante Arrhenius, Swedish chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1927)
- 1865 - Sven Hedin, Swedish explorer (d. 1952)
- 1876 - Constantin Brancusi, Romanian sculptor (d. 1957)
- 1877 - Gabriele Münter, German painter (d. 1962)
- 1888 - José Eustasio Rivera, Colombian writer (d. 1928)
- 1893 - Sir Cedric Hardwicke, British actor (d. 1964)
- 1895 - Louis Calhern, American actor (d. 1956)
- 1899 - Yury Olesha, Russian novelist (d. 1960)
- 1900 - Giorgos Seferis, Greek writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1971)
- 1902 - Kay Boyle, American writer (d. 1992)
- 1911 - Merle Oberon, British actress (d. 1979)
- 1912 - Stan Kenton, American musician (d. 1979)
- 1914 - Jacques Dufilho, French comedian and actor (d. 2005)
- 1916 - Eddie Arcaro, American jockey (d. 1997)
- 1917 - Carson McCullers, American author (d. 1967)
- 1920 - Jaan Kross, Estonian writer
- 1920 - George Rose, British music hall entertainer (d. 1988)
- 1924 - David Bronstein, Ukrainian chess player
- 1924 - Lee Marvin, American actor (d. 1987)
- 1930 - John Frankenheimer, American film director (d. 2002)
- 1940 - Smokey Robinson, American musician
- 1941 - David Gross, American physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1942 - Paul Krause, American football player
- 1943 - Lou Christie, American singer
- 1945 - Michael Nader, American actor
- 1946 - Karen Silkwood, American activist (d. 1974)
- 1948 - Pim Fortuyn, Dutch politician (d. 2002)
- 1948 - Tony Iommi, British musician (Black Sabbath)
- 1949 - Dan Bunten, American software developer (d. 1998)
- 1951 - Stephen Nichols, American actor
- 1951 - Tahir-ul-Qadri, Islamic scholar and leader
- 1952 - Amy Tan, American novelist
- 1953 - Massimo Troisi, Italian actor (d. 1994)
- 1954 - Socrates, Brazilian footballer
- 1955 - Jeff Daniels, American actor
- 1955 - Margaux Hemingway, American model and actress (d. 1996)
- 1956 - Roderick MacKinnon, American biologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry
- 1957 - Falco, Austrian singer (d. 1998)
- 1957 - Ray Winstone, British actor
- 1960 - Andrew, Duke of York
- 1962 - Hana Mandlikova, Czech tennis player
- 1963 - Seal, English singer
- 1964 - Dmitri Lipskerov, Russian writer
- 1966 - Justine Bateman, American actress
- 1966 - Paul Haarhuis, Dutch tennis player
- 1967 - Benicio Del Toro, Puerto Rican actor
- 1969 - Burton C. Bell, American vocalist (Fear Factory)
- 1983 - Vitas, Russian singer
- 1985 - Haylie Duff, American singer and actress
- 1986 - Maria Mena, Norwegian singer
- 1986 - Reon Kadena, Japanese model and actress.
- 197 - Clodius Albinus, Roman governor of Britain
- 1133 - Irene Ducaena, wife of Alexius I Comnenus (b. 1066)
- 1553 - Erasmus Reinhold, German astronomer and mathematician (b. 1511)
- 1605 - Orazio Vecchi, Italian composer (b. 1550)
- 1602 - Philippe Emmanuel, Duke of Mercoeur, French soldier (b. 1558)
- 1620 - Roemer Visscher, Dutch writer (b. 1547)
- 1622 - Henry Savile, English educator (b. 1549)
- 1653 - Luigi de Rossi, Italian composer (b. 1597)
- 1663 - Adam Adami, German bishop and diplomat (b. 1603)
- 1670 - King Frederick III of Denmark (b. 1609)
- 1672 - Charles Chauncy, English-born president of Harvard College (b. 1592)
- 1709 - Tokugawa Tsunayoshi, Japanese shogun (b. 1646)
- 1716 - Dorthe Engelbrechtsdatter, Norwegian poet (b. 1634)
- 1799 - Jean-Charles de Borda, French mathematician, physicist, political scientist, and sailor (b. 1733)
- 1806 - Elizabeth Carter, English writer (b. 1717)
- 1837 - Georg Büchner, German playwright (b. 1813)
- 1887 - Multatuli, Dutch writer (b. 1820)
- 1897 - Karl Weierstraß, German mathematician (b. 1815)
- 1916 - Ernst Mach, Austrian-Czech physicist and philosopher (b. 1838)
- 1927 - Robert Fuchs, Austrian composer (b. 1847)
- 1936 - Billy Mitchell, American general and military aviation pioneer (b. 1879)
- 1936 - Max Schreck, German actor (b. 1879)
- 1942 - Frank Abbandando, American gangster (executed) (b. 1910)
- 1951 - André Gide, French writer, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1869)
- 1952 - Knut Hamsun, Norwegian author, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1859)
- 1969 - Madge Blake, American actress (b. 1899)
- 1972 - John Grierson, Scottish documentary filmmaker (b. 1898)
- 1972 - Tedd Pierce, American animator (b. 1906)
- 1973 - Joseph Szigeti, Hungarian violinist (b. 1892)
- 1975 - Luigi Dallapiccola, Italian composer (b. 1904)
- 1980 - Bon Scott, Australian musician (AC/DC) (b. 1946)
- 1983 - Alice White, American film actress (b. 1904)
- 1986 - Adolfo Celi, Italian actor (b. 1922)
- 1994 - Derek Jarman, British Film Director (b. 1942)
- 1997 - Deng Xiaoping, Chinese Communist leader and revolutionary (b. 1904)
- 1997 - Charles O. Finley, American sports entrepreneur (b. 1918)
- 1997 - Leo Rosten, American Yiddish writer and humorist (b. 1908)
- 1998 - Grandpa Jones, American banjo player and comedian (b. 1913)
- 1999 - Mohammad Sadeq al-Sadr, Iraqi Shiite leader (assissinated)
- 2000 - Friedensreich Hundertwasser, Austrian artist (b. 1928)
- 2001 - Priscilla Davis, American socialite (b. 1942)
- 2001 - Stanley Kramer, American director (b. 1913)
- 2001 - Charles Trenet, French singer (b. 1913)
- 2003 - Johnny Paycheck, American singer (b. 1938)
- 2004 - Clark Byers, American sign maker
Holidays and observances
February 18 - February 20 - January 19 - March 19 -- listing of all days
an:19 de frebero
ast:19 de febreru
ca:19 de febrer
co:19 di frivaghju
es:19 de febrero
eo:19-a de februaro
gl:19 de febreiro
io:19 di februaro
ia:19 de februario
oc:19 de febrièr
pt:19 de Fevereiro
scn:19 di frivaru
wa:19 di fevrî