Danube class starship
In the Star Trek fictional universe, the Danube class starship is a type of shuttlecraft used by Starfleet as transportation vessels. Smaller than a starship but larger and more versatile than a shuttlecraft, runabouts are used for long-range movement of personnel and supplies. Runabouts assigned to Deep Space Nine are named for rivers on Earth. The Danube class runabout features a modular design; with the assembly of the spine, pylons, and nacelles removed, mission-specific modules can be added or changed. Known modules include various research laboratories, sensor stations, power generators, emergency habitats, more living quarters, modules containing four micro-torpedo launchers, and other weapons modules. During general mission operations, Danube-class runabouts are very lightly armed, normally outfitted with six Type-IV phaser arrays and a magazine of 24 microtorpedoes.
Known Danube class runabouts
- USS Danube (NCC-72003, ex-NX-72003)
- USS Gander (Registry unknown)
- USS Ganges (NCC-72454)
- USS Mekong (NCC-72617)
- Named for the Mekong River, the runabout Mekong was destroyed in 2371.
- USS Orinoco (NCC-72905)
- USS Rio Grande (NCC-72452)
- Named for the Rio Grande in Texas, the runabout Rio Grande was assigned to Deep Space Nine circa stardate 46379.1 in 2369. It is the only runabout known to have survived all seven years of Captain Benjamin Sisko's command aboard Deep Space Nine.
- USS Rubicon (NCC-72936)
- USS Shenandoah (NCC-73024)
- Named for the Shenandoah River, the runabout Shenandoah was assigned to Deep Space Nine. On stardate 51825, Ensign Nog and Jake Sisko used the Shenandoah to deliver an official diplomatic message to Grand Nagus Zek. The Shenandoah was nearly destroyed by Jem'Hadar attack ships but was saved by the Defiant class USS Valiant in 2374. Fate uncertain.
- USS Volga (NCC-73196)
- USS Yangtzee Kiang (NCC-72453)
- USS Yukon (NCC-74602)
- (Name unknown) (NCC-73918)
- This unnamed runabout was used to obtain a Breen energy dampening weapon.
- (Name and NCC unknown)
- This runabout transported Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Commander Data, Counselor Deanna Troi, and Commander Geordi La Forge from a convention to the USS Enterprise circa stardate 46944.2. The vessel was briefly frozen in a temporal distortion, in 2369. It was destroyed in an attempt to save the Enterprise and a Romulan Warbird from the time distortion.