- This article is about the mathematician; for other people named Riemann see Riemann (disambiguation).
Georg Friedrich Bernhard Riemann (September 17, 1826 - July 20, 1866) (pronounced REE mahn) was a German mathematician who made important contributions to analysis and differential geometry, some of them paving the way for the later development of general relativity. His name is connected with the Riemann zeta function, the Riemann hypothesis, the Riemann integral, the Riemann lemma, Riemannian manifolds, the Riemann mapping theorem, Riemann-Hilbert problems, Riemann surfaces, the Riemann-Roch theorem, the Riemann sphere, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations.
He was born in Breselenz, a village near Dannenberg in the Kingdom of Hanover in what is today Germany. His father Friedrich Bernhard Riemann was Lutheran pastor in Breselenz. Bernhard was the second of six children.
In 1840 Bernhard went to Hanover to live with his grandmother and visit the Lyceum. After the death of his grandmother in 1842 he went to the Johanneum in Lüneburg. In 1846, at the age of 19, he started studying philology and theology at the University of Göttingen. He attended lectures of Gauss on the method of least squares. In 1847 his father allowed him to stop studying theology and start studying mathematics.
Riemann held his first lectures in 1854, which not only founded the field of Riemannian geometry but set the stage for Einstein's general relativity. He was promoted an extraordinary professor at the University of Göttingen in 1857 and became an ordinary professor in 1859 following Dirichlet's death.
In 1862 he married Elise Koch.
- Riemann's 1859 paper introducing the complex zeta function
- Riemann hypothesis
- Riemann sphere
- Prime Obsession (John Derbyshire's popular book about the Riemann hypothesis)
- The Mathematical Papers of Georg Friedrich Bernhard Riemann
- All publications of Riemann can be found at: http://www.emis.de/classics/Riemann/
- O'Connor, John J., and Edmund F. Robertson. "Bernhard Riemann". MacTutor History of Mathematics archive.
- Bernhard Riemann - one of the most important mathematicians
bg:Бернхард Риман ca:Georg Friedrich Bernhard Riemann de:Bernhard Riemann es:Bernhard Riemann fr:Bernhard Riemann ko:베른하르트 리만 id:Georg Friedrich Bernhard Riemann is:Georg Friedrich Bernhard Riemann it:Georg Friedrich Bernhard Riemann he:ברנרד רימן lt:Georgas Frydrikas Bernhardas Rymanas nl:Bernhard Riemann ja:ベルンハルト・リーマン pl:Bernhard Riemann pt:Bernhard Riemann ru:Риман, Бернхард sk:Georg Friedrich Bernhard Riemann sl:Bernhard Riemann fi:Bernhard Riemann sv:Bernhard Riemann tr:Bernhard Riemann zh:波恩哈德·黎曼