6th century BC
|Centuries:||7th century BC - 6th century BC - 5th century BC|
|Decades:||00s 10s 20s 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s|
The 5th and 6th centuries BC were a time of empires, but more importantly, a time of learning and philosophy.
- Mediterranean: Beginning of Greek philosophy, flourishes during the 5th century BC
- East Asia: Chinese philosophy become the "religion" of China. Confucianism, Daoism, Legalism, and Moism flourish.
- Middle East: During the Persian empire, Zoroaster, aka Zarathustra, founded Zoroastrianism, a dualistic philosophy
- India: The Buddha and Mahavira found Buddhism and Jainism, challenging Hinduism and the caste system
- Cyrus the Great conquered many countries and created the Persian Empire.
- Persians conquer Ancient Egypt, dominate eastern Mediterranean.
- Ruin of the Kingdom of Judah and the destruction of the First Temple (586 BC) marking the beginning of the full Babylonian Captivity for the Jews
- Return of some Jews from Babylonian exile about (538 BC) who build the Second Temple about seventy years after the destruction of the First Temple, from 520-516 BC.
- Fall of the Babylonian Empire (539 BC) to Cyrus the Great of Persia, marking also an end of the Babylonian Captivity for the Jews.
- The Persians under Darius I and later Cyrus invade Transoxiana.
- Carthage's merchant empire slowly dominates the western Mediterranean
- Roman Republic founded
- Gautama Buddha founds Buddhism in India. It becomes a major world religion.
- Tao Te Ching written (traditional date)
- Confucius formulates his ethical system of Confucianism, which proves highly influential in China
- The Sinhalese emigrate to Sri Lanka
- Apparent writing of the Book of Psalms
- The prophet Lehi, according to the Book of Mormon, leaves Jerusalem and settles in North America.
- Abkhazia is colonized by the Greeks.
- The celtic Bruthin or Priteni, invade Britain and Ireland the British Isles some time before the 5th century BC.
- emergence of the Proto-Germanic Jastorf culture
- Stesichorus of Sicily, lyric poet (c. 640-555 BC).
- Thales, Greek mathematician ( 635 - 543 BC). Predicts solar eclipse in 585 BC.
- Solon of Athens, one of the Seven Sages of Greece (638 - 558 BC).
- Mahavira of Vaishali (599 - 527).
- Pisistratus, Tyrant of Athens in 561, 559-556 and 546-528 BC.
- Pythagoras of Samos, Greek mathematician. See Pythagorean theorem. (582 - 496 BC).
- Cyrus the Great, king of Persia ( 576 - 529 BC, reigned 559 - 529 BC).
- Gautama Buddha, founding figure of Buddhism (c. 563 - 483 BC).
- Confucius, founding figure of Confucianism (551 - 479 BC).
- Aeschylus of Athens, playwright (525 - 456 BC).
- Darius I, King of Persia (reigned 521 - 485 BC).
- Lehi, legendary figure, first prophet recorded in the Book of Mormon
- Sun Tzu, author of The Art of War.
Inventions, discoveries, introductions
Template:DecadesAndYearsBCca:Segle VI aC da:6. århundrede f.Kr. de:6. Jahrhundert v. Chr. el:6ος αιώνας π.Χ. es:Siglo VI adC eo:6-a jarcento a.K. fr:VIe siècle av. J.-C. ko:기원전 6세기 hr:6. stoljeće p.n.e. io:6ma yar-cento aK it:VI secolo AC he:המאה ה-6 לפנה"ס lb:6. Joerhonnert v. Chr. nl:6e eeuw v. Chr. ja:紀元前6世紀 nn:500-talet fvt. pl:VI wiek p.n.e. pt:Século VI a.C. ru:VI век до н. э. scn:Sèculu VI a.C. sl:6. stoletje pr. n. št. ta:கி.மு 6ஆம் நூற்றாண்டு tt:MA 6. yöz zh:前6世纪