|Centuries:||21st century - 22nd century - 23rd century|
|Decades:||2100s 2110s 2120s 2130s 2140s 2150s 2160s 2170s 2180s 2190s|
The twenty-second century comprises, for some, the years 2101 to 2200. This is almost the same as the twenty-one hundreds, which is the time between 2100 and 2199. (Some people argue that, because there was no year 0, this is not the same as the 22nd century, although some people, correctly or incorrectly, treat it as so).
See also: Future
Astronomical predictions for the 22nd century
- The Earth will experience 239 lunar eclipses.
- A total solar eclipse exceeding 7 minutes of totality will occur on June 25, 2150. This will be the first time this has happened in 177 years. But eclipse fans will not have to wait nearly so long for it to happen again —on July 5, 2168 an eclipse with 7 min 26 s of totality will occur, and on July 16, 2186 an eclipse of 7 min 29 s —close to the theoretical maximum— will occur. This is predicted to be the longest eclipse during the 8,000 year period from 3000 BC to AD 5000 (eclipse predictions by Fred Espenak, NASA/GSFC.DEPP).
- December 11, 2117: Transit of Venus
- 2123: Triple conjunction Mars-Jupiter
- September 14, 2123: At 15:28 UTC, Venus will occult Jupiter
- December 8, 2125: Transit of Venus
- July 29, 2126: At 16:08 UTC, Mercury will occult Mars
- December 3, 2133: At 14:14 UTC, Mercury will occult Venus
- Comet Halley will return to the inner solar system in 2134.
- 2148: Triple conjunction Mars-Saturn
- 2170: Triple conjunction Mars-Jupiter
- Given that Pluto's orbit is approximately 248 Earth years, the year 2178 will mark the 1st Plutonian anniversary of the planet's discovery.
- 2185: Triple conjunction Mars-Saturn
- 2187: Triple conjunction Mars-Saturn
- September 2, 2197: Venus occults Spica (last occultation of Spica by Venus was on November 10, 1783)
- First Martian and Lunar colonies on the Moon and Mars established.
- Beginnings of commercial power fusion industry.
- Formation of a Type I civilization under the Kardashev scale.
Science fiction set in the 22nd century
Literature (novels, short stories, comic books)
- Distress by Greg Egan
- Heads and Moving Mars, books by Greg Bear
- Kaleidoscope Century by John Barnes (frame story)
- Noon Universe created by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky
- Rendezvous with Rama, a book by Arthur C. Clarke
- When Gravity Fails, a book by George Alec Effinger
- Judge Dredd, a 2000 AD story (note that the earliest episodes took place in 2099, though most following stories have taken place in the 22nd century, usually 122 years after real-world publication (so a story published in the comic in 2005 will take place in 2127).
- Strontium Dog, a 2000 AD story.
- Crisis in 2140 (serialized as Null-ABC) by H. Beam Piper and John J. McGuire
- The Fun They Had by Isaac Asimov is set in 2157.
- Sci-Fi Channel's Mission Genesis is set in 2157.
Television and film
- Bicentennial Man, about half the events of this movie take place here
- Due to the time-travel nature of its stories, Doctor Who has taken place at various points during the 22nd century.
- Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 AD, a film adaptation based on the 2nd Doctor Who TV story to feature the Daleks.
- Gundam Wing takes place in 2166 (AC 195).
- Mobile Suit Gundam, a Japanese anime television series. It is known that the UC timeline begins in 2081. This would place the One Year War (UC 0079) occurring in 2159.
- Gundam X, an alternate universe "what-if" of Mobile Suit Gundam where the Earth Federation lost the One Year War (called the Seventh Space War in GX), takes place in 2174, assuming the Seventh Space War took place at the same time as the One Year War.
- Gundam Seed, an alternate-universe version of Mobile Suit Gundam (the Cosmic Era calendar begins about 10 years after the predicted oil crash of the mid-21st century, placing the beginning of the CE calendar sometime between 2040 and 2090, the series would therefore take place sometime between 2111 and 2161).
- Phil of the Future, a Disney Channel series. (Diffys are from this era (2121) before they crash in 2004; theme song refers to Phil as a "22nd Century man".)
- Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, an animated television series with Sherlock Holmes in a science fiction setting
- Space Battleship Yamato was launched on October 9, 2199 on it's desperate mission to save the earth in the Anime series of the same name.
- According to Star Trek, the Earth-Romulan War will be fought between 2156 and 2160, which results in the establishment of the United Federation of Planets and Starfleet in 2161. Star Trek also predicts human colonization of Mars by 2103.
- Star Trek: Enterprise (2151-2161). The first starship capable of reaching Warp 5 is launched from Earth, leading to unprecedented exploration of space, including first contacts with the Klingons, Andorians, and Romulans. According to this series, an area of Earth stretching from Florida to Venezuela will be devastated by an alien attack in 2153, resulting in the death of 7 million people. Enterprise is decommissioned in 2161, just prior to the establishment of the United Federation of Planets.
- The Matrix, a science fiction cult movie, in which the protagonist Neo discovers that all what he believed was a reality is in fact computer simulation. Morpheus, another character of the movie, identifies the events of the movie as being set in the years around 2199. However, it should be noted that it was mentioned in the film Matrix Reloaded that the movie took place in the 7th incarnation of The Matrix, meaning that the movie actually took place far further in the future than was originally believed.
- In Babylon 5, the Foundationism religion was started in the year 2157.
- Zero Wing (of All Your Base fame) starts in 2101.
- Mach Rider a Nintendo Entertainment System game that is set in 2112.
- System Shock 2 is set in 2114.
- Alien Legacy, the launch of the Seedship UNS Calypso takes place in 2119; the launch of Tantalus takes place in 2135.
- Doom 3, The events at the UAC Base on Mars occur.
- Earth 2150, The Earth is destroyed at the end of this year in said series.
- Aliens vs. Predator takes place in 2154.
- The Ur-Quan Masters starts on February 17, 2155.
- Fallout begins in 2161.
- Traffic Department 2192 takes place in 2192.
- The events of the Doom computer games take place.
- Megaman X Series, takes place during 21XX (starting at 2114 or later).
- Front Mission 3 takes place in 2112. Additionally, this is when the People's Republic of Da Han Zhong forms out of China.
- 2112, an album by Rush about a man living in a dystopic society.
- Reich Star An RPG which takes place in 2134, it was published by Simon Bell and Ken Richardson (1991) under the name of "Creative Encounters"
Decades and years
af:22ste eeu et:22. sajand fr:XXIIe siècle fy:22e ieu ko:22세기 hr:22. stoljeće io:22ma yar-cento id:Abad ke-22 it:XXII secolo he:המאה ה-22 lt:XXII amžius li:Twieëntwintegste iew hu:22. század nl:22e eeuw ja:22世紀 no:22. århundre pt:Século XXII ru:2100 sl:22. stoletje fi:2100-luku sv:2100-talet (sekel) th:คริสต์ศตวรรษที่ 22 zh:22世纪