1947 in sports
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Hall of Fame election: The writers' election is successful for the first time since 1942, with voters choosing Carl Hubbell, Frankie Frisch, Mickey Cochrane and Lefty Grove. Selections of 19th century players are delayed once again.
- April 15: Jackie Robinson, an African-American, takes the field at first base for the Brooklyn Dodgers Major League Baseball team, breaking that sport's color line.
- World Series: The New York Yankees defeat the Brooklyn Dodgers, 4 games to 3.
- Rocky Graziano defeats Tony Zale to win boxing’s world middleweight championship.
- December 5 - Joe Louis defeats Jersey Joe Walcott to retain his heavyweight championship
- Victorian Football League
- January 31 - Nolan Ryan, Baseball Hall of Famer
- February 5 - Darrell Waltrip, automobile racer, broadcaster
- February 13 - Mike Krzyzewski, Duke University basketball coach, Basketball Hall of Famer
- March 6 - Dick Fosbury, athlete (high jump)
- March 7 - Walter Röhrl, car racer
- April 16 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Basketball Hall of Famer
- April 26 - Donna DeVarona, Olympic gold medalist in swimming, sports journalist and sports activist
- May 27 - Branko Oblak, Slovenian football player and coach
- June 22 - Pete Maravich, Basketball Hall of Famer (+ 1988)