1931 in sports
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 24 hours of Le Mans: Earl Howe and Tim Birkin, driving an Alfa Romeo 8C.
- Louis Schneider wins the Indy 500.
- World Series: The St. Louis Cardinals (101-53, NL) defeated the Philadelphia Athletics (107-45, AL) four games to three.
- MVP Awards: NL: Frankie Frisch; AL: Lefty Grove
- Debutes: Billy Herman (August 29), Ernie Lombardi (April 15), Red Rolfe (June 29), Dixie Walker (April 28), Paul Derringer (April 16).
- Major trades:
- Northwestern University wins the College Basketball Title.
- Giro d'Italia won by Francesco Camusso of Italy
- Tour de France - Antonin Magne of France
- World Cycling Championship: Learco Guerra of Italy
- World Figure Skating Championships:
- Victorian Football League
- Australia - Melbourne Cup - White Nose
- Canada - Queen's Plate - Froth Blower
- France - Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe - Pearl Cap
- Ireland - Irish Derby Stakes - Sea Serpent
- English Triple Crown Races:
- United States Triple Crown Races:
- Grand Slam in tennis men's results:
- Grand Slam in tennis women's results:
- September 17 – Marvin Hart, former heavyweight boxing champion
- Jack Chesbro
- Charles Comiskey
- Roger Connor
- Knute Rockne