1919 in sports
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The Black Sox scandal -- Seven members of the Chicago White Sox take bribes to throw the World Series against the Cincinnati Reds
- The Florida State League is founded with teams in Bartow, Bradenton, Lakeland, Orlando, Sandford and Tampa.
- July 4: Jack Dempsey becomes heavyweight champion of the world, knocking out Jess Willard, defending champion, in four rounds.
- Victorian Football League - Collingwood wins the 23rd VFL Premiership (Collingwood 11.12 (78) d Richmond 7.1 (53))
- Stanley Cup: The Finals is cancelled after the death of Montreal Canadiens defenseman Joe Hall during the Spanish flu epidemic. The Canadiens and Seattle Metropolitans were tied at 2 games each before the series was cancelled.