1908 in sports
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The Chicago Cubs defeat the Detroit Tigers, four games to one, in the World Series.
- The St. Louis Cardinals set a still standing Major League Baseball record for the fewest runs scored in a season (372).
- September 23 - The Merkle incident
- Victorian Football League
- 1908 Summer Olympics takes place in London, United Kingdom
- December 26 - Jack Johnson becomes the first African American heavyweight boxing champion by defeating Tommy Burns in Sydney, Australia
- February 17 - Red Barber, baseball announcer, sports journalist (d. 1992)
- May 19 - Percy Williams, Canadian athlete (d. 1982)
- August 20 - Al Lopez, baseball catcher and manager (d. 2005)
- August 27 - Don Bradman, cricket player