September - December
- September 1 - Battle of Lovcha, Third battle in the Siege of Pleven.
- September 5 - Indian Wars: Oglala Sioux chief Crazy Horse is bayoneted by a United States soldier after resisting confinement in a guardhouse at Fort Robinson in Nebraska.
- October 10 - Following the recovery of Lieutenant-Colonel George Armstrong Custer's body from where he fell during the Battle of Little Big Horn the previous year, Custer is given a funeral with full military honors and is laid to rest at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York.
- November 21 - Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph, a machine that can record sound (this is considered to be Edison's first great invention) (Edison demonstrated the device for the first time on November 29).
- December 9 - Fourth battle, concluding the Siege of Pleven.
- December 14 - Serbia restates its previous declaration of war against Turkey
- War between Russia and the Ottoman Empire (Russo-Turkish War), leading to the formation of Bulgaria in 1878. See Russian Foreign Affairs after the Crimean War.
- Nineteenth Century magazine founded.
- January 2 - Slava Raskaj, Croatian painter (d. 1906)
- February 7 - G. H. Hardy, British mathematician (d. 1947)
- February 14 - Edmund Landau, German mathematician (d. 1938)
- February 17 - André Maginot, French politician (d. 1932)
- February 19 - Gabriele Münter, German painter (d. 1962)
- February 25 - Erich von Hornbostel, Austrain musicologist (d. 1935)
- March 2 - Consuelo Vanderbilt, Duchess of Marlborough (d. 1964)
- March 16 - Reza Pahlavi, Shah of Iran (d. 1944)
- March 18 - Edgar Cayce, American psychic (d. 1945)
- May 3 - Karl Abraham, German psychoanalyst (d. 1925)
- June 4 - Heinrich Otto Wieland, German chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1957)
- June 7 - Charles Glover Barkla, English phyicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1944)
- June 14 - Jane Bathori, French opera singer (d. 1970)
- July 2 - Hermann Hesse, German-born writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1962)
- July 6 - Arnaud Massy, French golfer (d. 1950)
- July 13 - Erik Scavenius, Prime Minister of Denmark (d. 1962)
- July 19 - Arthur Fielder, English cricketer (d. 1949)
- July 17 - Ernst von Dohnanyi, Hungarian conductor (d. 1960)
- August 6 - Wallace H. White, Jr., U.S. Senator from Maine (d. 1952)
- August 7 - Ulrich Salchow, Swedish figure skater (d. 1949)
- September 1 - Francis William Aston, English chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1945)
- September 2 - Frederick Soddy, English chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1956)
- September 6 - Buddy Bolden, American jazz musician (d. 1930)
- September 26 - Alfred Cortot, Swiss pianist (d. 1962)
- October 4 - Razor Smith, English cricketer (d. 1946)
- October 27 - George Thompson, English cricketer (d. 1943)
- November 9 - Allama Iqbal, Indian philosopher and poet (d. 1938)
- November 22 - Endre Ady, Hungarian poet (d. 1919)
- December 3 - Richard Pearse, New Zealand airplane pioneer (d. 1953)
- Alois Kayser, German missionary (d. 1944)
- January 4 - Cornelius Vanderbilt, American entrepreneur (b. 1794)
- August 29 - Brigham Young, American Mormon leader (b. 1801)
- September 2 - Constantine Kanaris, Greek politician (b. 1795)
- September 5 - Crazy Horse, Oglala Sioux chidf (b. 1849)
- October 16 - Theodore Barrière, French dramatist (b. 1823)
- November 2 - Friedrich Graf von Wrangel, Prussian field marshal (b. 1784)
- December 31 - Gustave Courbet, French painter (b. 1819)af:1877
ar:1877 ast:1877 bg:1877 be:1877 bs:1877 ca:1877 cv:1877 cs:1877 cy:1877 da:1877 de:1877 et:1877 el:1877 es:1877 eo:1877 eu:1877 fo:1877 fr:1877 fy:1877 ga:1877 gl:1877 ko:1877년 hr:1877 io:1877 id:1877 ia:1877 is:1877 it:1877 he:1877 csb:1877 la:1877 lt:1877 lb:1877 hu:1877 mk:1877 nl:1877 no:1877 nn:1877 os:1877 pl:1877 pt:1877 ro:1877 ru:1877 sq:1877 scn:1877 sk:1877 sl:1877 sr:1877 fi:1877 sv:1877 th:พ.ศ. 2420 tt:1877 tr:1877 uk:1877 wa:1877 zh:1877年