|Divisors||1, 2, 5, 10|
|Roman numeral||X (Unicode: Ⅹ, ⅹ)|
|prefixes||deca-/deka- (from Greek)|
Ten is a composite number, its proper divisors being 1, 2 and 5. Ten is the smallest noncototient, a number that can not be expressed as the difference between any integer and the total of coprimes below it. Ten is a Harshad number and a semi-meandric number.
Ten is the sum of the first three prime numbers.
Ten is the base of the decimal numeral system, by far the most common system of denoting numbers in both spoken and written language. Ten is the first two-digit number in decimal and thus the lowest number where the position of a numeral affects its value. Any integer written in the decimal system can be multiplied by ten by adding a zero to the end (e.g. 855 * 10 = 8550). The reason for the choice of ten is assumed to be that humans have ten fingers (digits).
Ten is the number of n-Queens Problem solutions for n = 5.
In numeral systems
The Roman numeral for ten is X (which looks like two V's [the Roman numeral for 5] put together); it is thought that the V for five is derived from an open hand (five digits displayed). The Chinese word numeral for ten is 十, which resembles a cross.
|over 10 (hexadecimal)||A|
- The atomic number of neon
- The number of carbon atoms in decane, a hydrocarbon.
- The number of spacetime dimensions in superstring theory.
- The New General Catalogue object NGC 10, a magnitude 12.5 spiral galaxy in the constellation Sculptor
- The Saros number of the solar eclipse series which began on -2467 February 28 and ended on -1169 April 18. The duration of Saros series 10 was 1298.1 years, and it contained 73 solar eclipses.
- The Saros number of the lunar eclipse series which began on -2454 June 17 and ended on -1138 August 15. The duration of Saros series 10 was 1316.2 years, and it contained 74 lunar eclipses.
In other fields
- A collection of ten items (most often ten years) is called a decade.
- A decapod crustacean has ten limbs.
- To reduce something by one tenth is to decimate. (In ancient Rome, the killing of one in ten soldiers was the punishment for mutiny.)
- There are ten cents in a U.S. or Canadian dime, itself one tenth of a dollar. The word was shortened from decime.
- The denomination of Canadian paper money bearing a portrait of Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first Prime Minister.
- In chess, each side can promote all eight pawns to have a total of ten bishops, knights, or rooks.
- People were traditionally tithed one tenth of their produce.
- It takes ten to make a minyan.
- With ten being the base of the decimal system, a scale of 1 to 10 is often used to rank things, as a smaller version of a 1-to-100 scale (as is used in percentages and wine-tasting).
- Blake Edwards' 1979 movie 10.
- Something that scores perfectly is "a perfect ten". A person who is attractive and physically flawless is often said to be "a ten", from the idea of ranking that person's appearance and sex-appeal on a 1-to-10 scale. E.g. In the movie 10 Bo Derek is supposedly a "10" on that scale.
- Counting from one to ten before speaking is often done in order to cool one's temper.
- In astrology, Capricorn is the 10th astrological sign of the Zodiac.
- Driving a racing car at ten-tenths is driving as fast as possible, on the limit.
- Ten-codes are commonly used on emergency service radio systems.
- The ordinal adjective is denary.
- Number of kingdoms in Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms Period
- House number of Number 10 Downing Street
- ASCII and Unicode code point for line feed
- The number of Commandments from God to man in Mosaic law. (Exodus 20:2-17, Exodus 34:12-26, and Deuteronomy 5:6-21)
- There are said to be ten "Lost Tribes" of Israel.
- The designation of United States Interstate 10, a freeway that runs from California to Florida.
- The title of quite a few albums, including recordings by Pearl Jam and LL Cool J. See Ten (album).
- A Japanese comic: Ten (comic)
- "ten." is an abbreviation for tenuto, a musical direction.
- In rugby union the fly-half wears the 10 shirt.
- In MIDI, Channel 10 is reserved for unpitched percussion instruments.
- In the Rich Text Format specification, all language codes for regional variants of the Spanish language are congruent to 10 mod 256.
- Number of dots in a tetractys.
- In Mac OS X, the F10 function key tiles all the windows of the current application and grays the windows of other applications.
- In blackjack, the Ten, Jack, Queen and King are all worth 10 points.
- Historical years: 10 A.D., 10 B.C., or 1910